7 Plants to Help You Enjoy Good Sleep
Houseplants can do a lot more than simply adding a welcome touch of green to your surroundings. Did you know that, in addition to cleaning the air in your home, some houseplants can also help you get a good night’s rest? It’s true. In fact, incorporating some or all of the following houseplants into your bedroom décor could help ensure that your sleep is downright deep and refreshing.
- Jasmine A beautiful plant to gaze on as you drift off to dreamland, the jasmine also releases a relaxing, sweet scent that has been shown to lead to more restful sleep, decreased anxiety and greater mental performance.
- Aloe Vera This sunburn-soothing staple releases oxygen at night rather than during the day so can you enjoy more restful sleep with purer air. Bonus: Aloe is also known to help reduce levels of volatile organic compounds like benzene and formaldehyde.
- Lavender The soothing scent of lavender has long been thought to promote a restful sleep (hence all the sachets, sprays, lotions and soaps that carry the aroma). And science backs up the plant’s claim: One study showed that infants exposed to lavender during their baths cried less and slept better (and so did their moms)!
- Gerbera Daisy Like the aloe, these bright beauties also do double duty by both releasing oxygen at night as well as removing trichloroethylene from the air. You can rest easier knowing your air is cleaner!
- Spider Plant Able to remove unpleasant odors along with airborne toxins like formaldehyde, benzene, carbon monoxide and xylene, spider plants (aka airplane plants) also help sustain O2 levels. And they have the added benefit of being very easy to care for.
- Valerian While people as far back as the ancient Greeks and Romans have used valerian root to treat insomnia and to help calm and sedate, a 2006 study shows that simply inhaling this herb’s scent can hasten the onset of sleep and even enhance its quality.
- Gardenia Known for its captivatingly sweet scent, gardenia contains an active compound that has been shown to not only improve sleep quality but also to enhance mood. Win win!
- How to Keep Your Indoor Air Safe for Your Family | Norwex Movement
- 10 Plants That’ll Help You Sleep Better | Martha Stewart
- News Story – Wheeling Jesuit University
- Houseplants That Do Double Duty Clearing Out Pollutants In Indoor Air – Extension Daily
- Lavender bath oil reduces stress and crying and enhances sleep in very young infants. – PubMed – NCBI
- Interior Landscape Plants for Indoor Air Pollution Abatement PDF
- House Plants That Produce Oxygen | Garden Guides
- Houseplants & Carbon Monoxide | Home Guides | SF Gate
- Spider plant (Chlorophytum comosum) | 15 houseplants for improving indoor air quality | MNN – Mother Nature Network
- 9 Bedroom Plants That Help You Sleep Better Every Night
- The sleep-enhancing effect of valerian inhalation and sleep-shortening effect of lemon inhalation. – PubMed – NCBI