Tips for Detoxing Your Nighttime Routine
Is getting a good night’s sleep sometimes easier said than done? If so, you’re not alone. In fact, the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention call sleep deprivation a public health crisis, stating that up to 33% of us don’t get enough sleep and that about 80% of us have trouble sleeping at least once a week.
But getting enough sleep is crucial for a number of reasons. Our mental performance, ability to learn new information and mood all depend on it. A 2013 study even showed that during sleep is when the brain cleanses itself from cellular waste materials. According to the University of Rochester Medical Center, as we sleep our glymphatic system flushes cerebrospinal fluid through our brains to clear away toxins like those responsible for Alzheimer’s disease and other neurological disorders.
This is why it’s so important that you not only get enough sleep, but that your sleep is truly restful and that you’re not inadvertently increasing your body’s chemical load while it’s trying to detox!
Wait, what? Could I be increasing my body’s chemical load as I sleep?
While it may sound unlikely, it could actually be true. For example:
- If the fibers in your bedsheets, pillowcases and blankets were sourced from traditionally grown cotton, there could be traces of pesticide residue lurking in them. And even organically grown cotton bedding can be treated with dyes, finishes, bleaches or sizing that could harbor butane, propane and formaldehyde.
For a restful night’s sleep with no harmful chemicals added, try new Norwex Pillowcases, made from luxuriously smooth Norwex Microfiber with BacLock® technology. Our BacLock antibacterial agent in the cloth keeps them cleaner longer by inhibiting bacterial growth within the fabric.
- And what about your nighttime personal care routine? You could be ingesting chemicals like sodium lauryl sulfate, propylene glycol, triclosan and diethanolamine from your toothpaste alone. And don’t get me started on facial cleansers! They can include everything from sodium lauryl sulfate to fragrances, alcohols and parabens.
Try a Norwex Microfiber-and-water-only regimen to cleanse your face before bed. Personally, I love our Makeup Removal Cloth Set and our new Facial Pads and Exfoliating Facial Mitt. Using these, you’ll not only keep harmful chemicals off your skin, there’s also no need for wasteful, single-use cotton balls (or their toxic pesticides!) And try our Norwex Toothpaste in Cooling Mint. It’s safe and effective, plus you’ll sleep better knowing you haven’t ingested any harmful chemicals from your toothpaste!
- To Sleep, Perchance to Clean – Newsroom – University of Rochester Medical Center
- 1 in 3 adults don’t get enough sleep | CDC Online Newsroom | CDC
- Should I Wash New Sheets Before I Put Them on My Bed? | Hunker
- Toxic Toothpaste Ingredients You Need to Avoid